Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Norway in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Norway from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Norway Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Norway was one of four markets covered in this report that have a demand share for the action/adventure genre greater than 20%.
- With just over a 3% share of demand, Norwegians have a share of demand for children’s content smaller than all but three other markets in this report.
- The share of demand for digital original reality series in Norway (1.8%) is well below the global average share of demand for this genre (2.7%).
- Among digital original subgenres, teen drama ranked more highly in Norway than any other market covered in this report.
- Reflecting the popularity of the action/adventure genre in Norway, three of the top 10 subgenres for the quarter are action/adventure subgenres–superhero series, sci-fi action, and action fantasy.
Norway Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Norwegian audiences gave the largest share of demand for original content from Hulu (9.3%) out of all the markets covered in this report.
- Netflix originals accounted for the smallest share of demand in Norway in this report (37.6%). This is a steep decline from two years ago when Netflix still accounted for over 60% of demand for originals here.
- Paramount+ achieved its second highest share of demand for digital originals in Norway in this report. 4.0% of demand for digital originals was for a Paramount+ original in Q2 2021.
- Norway is one of two markets in this report where The Handmaid’s Tale was the most in-demand original series in Q2 2021. It had 13.4 times the average series demand.
- Although the reality genre has well below the global share of demand in Norway, certain reality series like Clarkson’s Farm from Amazon Prime Video and Naked Attraction Norge from Discovery+ have stood out as uniquely popular in this market.
- Delete Me, a drama from Viaplay, had above average demand in Norway.
Norway Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Hulu achieved its largest share of demand for original dramas in this report in Norway. The 12.6%share of demand for Hulu original dramas was more than double its global share of drama demand–5.7%. This was also the market where Hulu came closest to overtaking Amazon Prime Video’s share of demand for original dramas.
- Netflix’s 48.1% share of demand for digital original dramas in Norway was smaller than in any other market covered in this report.
- Original dramas from Viaplay accounted for 2.4% of demand for all digital original dramas in Norway this quarter.
- 5.2% of demand for action/adventure originals in Norway was for a Paramount+ original. This is the platform’s highest share of action/adventure demand in this report and twice its global share of demand (2.6%).
- With a 49.8% share of demand for original action/adventure series, Disney+ makes up nearly half of the demand for action/adventure original series in Norway.
- Netflix originals account for 12.6% of demand for all digital original action/adventure series in Norway. This is significantly below the platform’s 30.2% share of demand in the genre globally.
Top Digital Original Series in Norway
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Norway: