Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Peru in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Peru from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Peru Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Peru was the most action/adventure loving market in this report, with a 29.1% share of demand for digital originals in this genre.
- Peruvians’ share of demand for the documentary (1.6%) and horror (1.0%) genres was less than half that of the global average share for these genres and the smallest of markets in this report.
- Peru had the second largest share of demand for animated content of markets in this report. Its 9.3% share of demand for the genre was more than +55% greater than the global average demand share for animation.
- Peruvians’ love of the action/adventure genre is driven in large part by the enormous popularity of superhero series here. It was the most in-demand subgenre here in Q2 2021 with more than 2.6 times the demand of the next most in-demand subgenre, sci-fi drama.
- The sci-fi action subgenre was the fifth most in-demand digital original subgenre in Peru for Q2 2021. This was the highest rank it achieved in this report.
Peru Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Peruvians’ strong interest in superhero content is reflected in the share of demand for platform originals. Both HBO Max and Disney+ achieved their largest share demand here with 9.3% and 19.4% respectively. Both platforms have a strong offering of original superhero series.
- Apple TV+ (1.8%) and Hulu (2.6%), whose original content is less skewed toward the action/adventure genre, make up a smaller share of demand in Peru than any of the other markets in this report.
- Original content from Movistar+ accounted for 2.6% of demand for digital original content in Peru, a larger share than either Hulu or Apple TV+ managed here. This shows how the Spanish platform’s content has found international success.
- Unsurprisingly given Peruvians’ love of superhero series, WandaVision was the most in-demand original series here in Q2 2021. It had 9.79x the average series demand.
- Titans, from HBO Max was the second most in-demand digital original in Peru this quarter. This is the highest rank the show achieved of markets in this report and again reflects the love of the superhero genre here.
- Surprisingly, Kingdom, the Netflix Korean drama found success in Peru. It was the 21st most in-demand digital original for the quarter here–a higher rank than it achieved in any of the other markets in this report.
Peru Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Peruvians expressed 71.7% of demand for digital original dramas for a Netflix original. This is the largest share of demand for this platform’s dramas in this report.
- Netflix’s dominance in the drama genre has severely squeezed the share of demand for original dramas from Apple TV+ (2.2%) and Hulu (3.0%). Both platforms had their smallest share of demand for original dramas of markets in this report in Peru.
- Amazon Prime Video has managed to grow its share of demand for original dramas in Peru over the quarter despite being faced with an overwhelmingly dominant Netflix here. In the final month of the quarter, Amazon Prime Video dramas accounted for 11.8% of demand for all digital original dramas here.
- Of markets in this report, Peru is the market where HBO Max originals made up the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals, with an 18.1% share. This is the only market covered in this report where HBO Max controlled a larger share of demand in this category than Netflix.
- Disney+ originals accounted for 56.8% of demand for action/adventure originals in Peru. This is well above the platform’s 34.2% share of demand in this genre globally.
- Peruvians gave a smaller share of demand to action/adventure originals from Amazon PrimeVideo than any other market in this report. Amazon original action/adventure series accounted for only 9.4% of demand for action/adventure originals in Peru this quarter.
Top Digital Original Series in Peru
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Peru: