Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Portugal in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Portugal from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Portugal Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preferences
- With a 50.5% share of digital original demand in Q1 2021, Portuguese audiences expressed a majority of their demand for digital originals for a drama original.
- The Portuguese share of demand for digital original animation (2.7%) and children’s (2.9%) series was among the lowest of markets in this report.
- While not among the most action/adventure loving markets in this report, Portugal’s 21.8% share of demand for digital original action adventure series is well above the global average share (14.0%).
- As is the case with a majority of markets we looked at, superhero series was the most in-demand digital original subgenre of Q1 2021 in Portugal.
- The demand for sci-fi drama originals in Portugal was only 9% less than the demand for the top ranked subgenre this quarter.
- Portugal is one of five markets in this report where the thriller subgenre ranked in the top 5 digital original subgenres for the quarter.
Portugal Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- A majority of audience demand for digital originals in Portugal was for a Netflix original. In Q1 2021 Portuguese audiences expressed 51.2% of demand for digital originals for a Netflix original.
- Disney+’s gain in demand share this quarter (from 10.4% to 13.9%) came mainly at the expense of Netflix which dropped below a 50% share for the first time in this market in March when it accounted for 49.1% of all digital original demand.
- In Portugal, Disney+ originals’ share of demand surpassed Amazon Prime Video’s share in March 2021.
- WandaVision is the most in-demand digital original series in Portugal for Q1 2021. It has 21.0 times the demand of the average show.
- The Amazon Prime Video sports documentary, All Or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur ranked higher in Portugal than in any other market in this report. It had 2.9 times the average demand for the quarter. This documentary featured the Portuguese manager of the club Jose Mourinho.
- Another sports documentary, Formula 1: Drive to Survive, also ranked higher in Portugal than in other markets with 2.1 times the average series demand. The sports comedy, Ted Lasso, from Apple TV+ performed well in Portugal this quarter with 2.6 times the average series demand.
Portugal Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- A majority of demand for drama originals in Portugal was for Netflix originals in Q1 2021. 61.9% of demand for original drama series was for a Netflix original.
- 4.3% of demand for drama originals in Portugal was for an HBO Max original. This is larger than the global average share of demand for dramas from this platform, 2.8%.
- Despite the increasing competition, Netflix was able to grow its already dominant share of demand here each month in Q1 2021. Portuguese audiences were receptive to Netflix dramas in a number of languages. For the quarter, The Crown (English), Narcos (Spanish), Dark (German), and Lupin (French) were the most in-demand dramas in Portugal for each of their respective languages.
- Disney+ originals accounted for the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Portugal in Q1 2021 with 47.1% of demand.
- Action/adventure originals from Amazon Prime Video accounted for one of the largest shares of demand in Portugal of markets in this report – 15.1%.
- Paramount+ originals have a below average share of action/adventure demand in Portugal, accounting for only 2.7% of demand for action adventure originals demand in Q1 2021. In fact, Paramount+’s share fell below Hulu’s, normally a minor player in this space, in March.
Top Digital Original Series in Portugal
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Portugal: