Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Romania in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Romania from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Romania Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preferences
- The drama genre accounts for just under half of digital original demand in Romania for Q1 2021. It’s 49.8% share is slightly above the global average share for this genre, 49.0%.
- Romania is the most horror - loving market in this report. Romania’s 3.8% share of demand for horror digital originals is higher than any other market we looked at.
- The markets in this report in general have high demand for action/adventure originals. While Romania has the 3rd lowest share of demand in this report for action/adventure originals (18.1%), this is still well above the global average share for this genre – 14.0%
- Romania is one of three markets in this report (with the Czech Republic and Turkey) where sci - fi drama was the most in-demand digital original subgenre of Q1 2021.
- While Romania has a general love of horror, the suspense horror subgenre only ranked 9th this quarter. This subgenre ranked higher in India for the quarter.
- The horror-adjacent thriller subgenre was the fourth most in-demand digital original subgenre in Romania for the quarter.
Romania Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Of markets in this report, Romanian audiences expressed the highest share of demand for digital originals for Paramount+ original series. The 6.6% share of demand for Paramount+ originals is more than twice the global average (3.2%). Star Trek in particular resonates here. Both Star Trek: Discovery and Picard ranked higher here than in any other market in this report.
- Hulu’s 8.1% share of digital original demand in Romania makes is the largest for any market in this report.
- The popularity of original content in Romania from platforms with smaller demand shares (Hulu, Paramount+, HBO Max) has cut into the share of demand for Netflix originals. Romania is one of the markets we looked at where Netflix had a less than 50% share of demand.
- This quarter’s most in-demand digital original series in Romania is WandaVision. It reached 17.5 times the demand of the average show.
- The Expanse, from Amazon Prime Video was the third most in-demand original series in Romania for Q1 2021. This was a higher rank than it achieved in any other market in this report. It had 11.9 times the average series demand.
- Romanians’ love of horror spans the original content of many platforms. Paramount+’s The Twilight Zone (4.7x), Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (3.5x), and Hulu’s Castle Rock (1.8x) all were in-demand here this quarter.
Romania Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Netflix originals accounted for a majority of demand for digital original dramas in Romania in Q1 2021. Romania was one of only four markets in this report where Netflix fell below a 60% share of drama demand this quarter, along with India, the US, and Thailand.
- Apple TV+ dramas have found success with Romanian audiences. 7.0% of demand for drama originals this quarter was for an Apple TV+ original. In this report only the US had a larger share of demand for this platform’s dramas this quarter.
- The 24 month trend chart reveals a tight race between HBO Max and Paramount+ dramas in Romania. Paramount+ had a larger demand share in January but was overtaken by HBO Max the next month. By the end of the month Paramount+ and HBO Max were in a dead heat with 4.1% and 4.0% respectively.
- Demand for Paramount+ action/adventure originals in Romania is exceptionally high. The platform’s 9.1% share in Q1 2021 was by far the highest in this report and more than 2.5 times the global average share for this platform’s action/adventure originals.
- Hulu’s action/adventure originals reached a demand share of 2.8% in Romania in Q1 2021 - higher than most markets in this report. While Hulu originals have not been a major force in the action/adventure space, the horror tinged action series, Marvel’s Helstrom , has possibly been part of the platform’s success in Romania.
- Disney+ has the third smallest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Romania of markets in this report. In the trend chart you can see a downturn in its share at the end of the quarter, contrasting with many markets where it has continued to grow.
Top Digital Original Series in Romania
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Romania: