Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Spain in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Spain from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Spain Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Spanish audiences gave 55.4% of demand for digital originals to a drama series in Q2 2021. This is the second highest share of demand for this genre in this report, only slightly behind Russia.
- Spaniards also have above an above average share of demand for the comedy (15.8%) and variety (2.8%) genres. Demand for these genres has been boosted by content offerings from local platforms.
- The action/adventure (12.1%), animation (3.9%), and children (2.2%) genres have below average demand in Spain. Notably the share of demand for animation is the lowest of markets in this report.
- The thriller subgenre is the second most in-demand digital original subgenre in Spain for Q2 2021. This is a higher rank for this subgenre than in any other market in this report.
- Mystery drama ranked higher in Spain than in any other market in this report and Spain was the only market where the life story subgenre was among the 10 most in-demand subgenres.
Spain Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- The Spanish SVOD market is unique due to the strong position of local content from Movistar+. With a 14.0% demand share in Q2 2021 it trails only Netflix in its home market.
- Competition from Movistar+ has put pressure on the demand shares of other platforms. Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, HBO Max, and Paramount+ each have a share of demand in Spain below their global share.
- Despite competitive headwinds in this market, Apple TV+ (5.6%) and Hulu (5.8%) have a slightly larger share of demand for their originals here than they do globally–5.4% and 5.6% respectively.
- Stranger Things was the most in-demand digital original series in Spain in Q2 2021. it had 22.3 times the average series demand.
- Hierro, from Movistar+, was the platform’s most in-demand original series in Spain this quarter. It had 12.9 times the average series demand. Not only was this series a success in Spain, 7 of the top 20 digital originals here were from Movistar+.
- While Movistar+ has the largest demand share of a local platform, ATRESPlayer had the most in-demand digital original from a Spanish platform. Veneno was the 7th most in-demand digital original in Spain. Despite last releasing episodes in 2020 it had 14.1 times the average series demand.
Spain Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Two local platforms have carved out respectable shares of demand for their original dramas in Spain. Movistar+ attracted 12.1% of demand for drama originals while ATRESPlayer accounted fora 2.5% share here.
- Despite the presence of a major local OTT platform, Netflix has a majority of demand for drama originals in Spain and a larger share than several other markets in this report. Netflix is likely well positioned to defend against Movistar+ in Spain because it has invested in many Spanish language originals of its own.
- The share of demand for Amazon Prime Video’s dramas seems to have struggled the most in the face of local competition here. Its 9.2% share of demand for drama originals in Spain was the lowest of markets in this report.
- In Spain, 43.4% of demand for action/adventure originals was for a Disney+ series in Q2 2021. This is above its global share of demand int his genre–34.2%.
- Although Disney+ has an above average share of demand this quarter, it has fallen from its peak of 45.5% in April.
- The share of demand for HBO Max original action/adventure series (8.8%) is well below the global share of demand for HBO Max series in this genre (11.5%).
Top Digital Original Series in Spain
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Spain:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.