Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Thailand in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Thailand from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Thailand Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preferences
- Thailand is among the countries with the lowest demand share for Children’s originals. With a 2.7% share of demand for this genre, only India has a lower share (2.6%) in this report.
- Thailand is one of only three markets in this report where digital original reality series accounted for more than 2% of demand in Q1 2021. The highest ranked reality original in Thailand this quarter was Encore! From Disney+.
- Thailand’s 5.8% share of demand for documentary originals was beat only by the US share of demand for this genre in this report.
- As with 5 other markets in this report, superhero series is the most in - demand digital original subgenre of Q1 in Thailand.
- Historical drama was the 5th most in-demand digital original subgenre in Thailand for Q1 2021. This is a higher rank than it achieved in any other market in this report.
- Romantic drama was the 6th most in-demand subgenre in Thailand for the quarter. This is its joint highest rank along with India and Austria.
Thailand Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Netflix originals accounted for the smallest share of demand in Thailand of markets in this report. With 39.3% of demand, this was the only market where Netflix’s share fell below 40%.
- Originals from Apple TV+ achieved their highest share of demand in Thailand (7.8%) of markets in this report. This is well above the global average share for this platform – 4.7%.
- In the 24 month trend graph we can see how Netflix’s overall share of demand in Thailand has been on a steep decline this quarter, mainly driven by Disney+’s expansion. Netflix ended the quarter with record low 34.5% share.
- The most in-demand digital original series in Thailand in Q1 2021 is Disney+’s WandaVision . It has 15.0 times more demand than the average title.
- While Disney+ does not have an exceptionally large share of demand in Thailand, its originals outside of Marvel and Star Wars have caught on notably well here. Encore! and The Right Stuff rank higher here than any market in this report (#25 and #38 respectively).
- Thailand is a battleground market for original content from Asian platforms. Tencent Video (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation), LINE TV ( What the Duck: Final Call ), GagaOOLala (Call It What You Want) and Viu (My Bubble Tea) all had in-demand originals in this market.
Thailand Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Thailand has one of the largest shares of demand for drama originals coming from other platforms not broken out here. Originals from platforms like Tencent Video, LINE TV, GagaOOLala , and Viu have caught the attention of audiences in this market.
- HBO Max accounts for a larger share of demand for drama originals in Thailand (5.3%) than in any other market we looked at. This is nearly twice the platform’s global share (2.8%).
- The demand share for Apple TV+ drama saw marked growth in Thailand this quarter. It nearly doubled, rising to 10.4% in March from 5.4% in January.
- A majority of demand for action/adventure originals in Thailand in Q1 2021 was for a Disney+ original (52.4%).
- While Disney+’s 52.4% share here is not the largest we measured, its growth has been impressive. From October 2020 when The Mandalorian released its second season to March 2021 the platform’s share of demand more than quadrupled to 62.2%.
- Thailand was one of only two markets in this report where Amazon Prime Video’s share of demand for action/adventure originals eclipsed Netflix. Amazon’s action/adventure series, The Boys, ranked higher here than in any of the markets we looked at.
Top Digital Original Series in Thailand
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Thailand: