Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Turkey in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Turkey from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Turkey Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Turkey comes in a close second to India for the largest share of demand for digital original dramas. In Q1 2021, 55.7% of demand for digital originals in Turkey was for a drama series.
- Turkish audiences had the lowest share of demand for horror originals in this report, with only 2.0% of demand for originals series expressed for a horror original.
- Of markets in this report, Turkey has the most drama subgenres in the top 10.
- Turkey is one of 3 markets we looked at (along with Romania and the Czech Republic) where sci-fi drama is the most in-demand subgenre for Q1 2021.
- Fantasy drama ranks higher in Turkey than in any of the markets in this report. In fact, Turkey is the only market we looked at where this subgenre made it into the top 10.
Turkey Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Turkey is the market with the second largest share of demand for Netflix originals in this report. Netflix originals accounted for 56.9% of demand for all originals series here in Q1 2021.
- Accounting for only 2.1% of demand for digital originals this quarter, Paramount+ has one of the smallest demand shares in Turkey of the markets we looked at.
- The steep decline in Netflix’s share of originals can be seen in the 24 month trend chart. Netflix’s share of demand in Turkey fell by -7.3% over the quarter.
- As with most markets we are reporting on for Q1 2021, Wandavision is the most in demand digital original series in Turkey. It registered 17.5 times the demand of the average series here.
- Netflix has invested in a number of local shows in Turkey. Aşk 101 and Hakan: Muhafiz (The Protector) both had high demand in Turkey this quarter with 2.6 and 1.5 times the average series demand respectively.
- Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale was 6.3 times more in demand than the average series in Q1 2021. This made it the 8th most in-demand series for the quarter, a higher rank than in any other market in this report.
Turkey Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Netflix’s dramas have won fans in Turkey. Turkey is one of three markets in this report (with Venezuela and the Czech Republic) where Netflix series account for more than two - thirds of demand for drama originals.
- Demand for Hulu dramas has held up well despite Netflix’s strength here. The 8.4% share of demand for Hulu original dramas is above the platform’s global share of demand for drama originals – 6.2%.
- Netflix has maintained its dominant demand share relatively well in Turkey. It has hovered in the 67 - 68% range since October 2020.
- With a 48.5% share of demand for action/adventure originals, Disney+ was the platform with the largest share of demand in this category in Turkey in Q1 2021.
- HBO Max’s 8.0% share of action/adventure demand in Turkey is well below its global share of demand in this genre, 13.6%.
- Amazon Prime Video’s share of action/adventure original demand has dramatically shrunk from the highs it reached following The Boys season 2. In October 2020 Prime Video originals accounted for 30% of all demand for action/adventure originals.
Top Digital Original Series in Turkey
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Turkey: