Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United Arab Emirates in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United Arab Emirates from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United Arab Emirates Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- The United Arab Emirates was one of only three markets in this report where the share of demand for drama originals was greater than 50%.
- The 23.7% share of demand for the action/adventure genre in the U.A.E was the third highest in this report and well above the global average share for the genre-14.1%.
- Audiences in the U.A.E gave a 12.1% share of demand to original series in the comedy genre. This is the lowest share for comedy of the 11 markets in this report.
- The U.A.E. was the only market in this report where spy action ranked in the top 10 most in-demand digital original subgenres.
- Despite comedy being less popular in the U.A.E. than other markets covered in this report, the sitcom subgenre ranked higher here than in six of the markets in this report.
United Arab Emirates Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Originals from Netflix accounted for the largest share of demand for originals in the United Arab Emirates in Q2 2021 with a 44.4% share.
- Disney+ had the second largest share of demand for originals in this market. The platform’s 16.0% share here is more than twice its global share of demand–7.3%.
- Originals from Hulu made up 5.1% of demand for original series in the U.A.E. this quarter. This is the platform’s second smallest share of markets in this report.
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, from Disney+ was the most in-demand digital original series in the U.A.E. for Q2 2021. It had 14.2 times the average series demand.
- Sony Liv’s Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta Story was the 18th most in-demand original series in the U.A.E for the quarter. It had 2.6 times the average series demand here.
- Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj, ranked higher in the U.A.E. than in any other market in this report. It had 1.4 times the average series demand this quarter despite being cancelled by Netflix in August 2020.
United Arab Emirates Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Netflix originals accounted for a majority of demand for digital original dramas in the U.A.E. with a 58.2% demand share in Q2 2021.
- While not the largest in this report, the share of demand for Apple TV+ original dramas showed strong growth in the U.A.E this quarter, from 5.9% in April to 7.6% in June.
- The share of demand for original dramas for other platforms not broken out here was among the largest in this report. Popular original dramas from platforms such as Shahid and Voot helped boost this share in Q2 2021.
- 20.5% of demand for action/adventure originals in the U.A.E. was for an Amazon Prime Video series. This is a larger share of demand for the platform than in any other market in this report. In the 24 month trend chart we can see how demand for the platform’s content has surged this quarter, helped by the season 2 release of The Family Man.
- Disney+’s share of action/adventure demand in the U.A.E. has fallen steeply over Q2 2021. From a high of 61.7% in April it ended the quarter with a 49.6% share of demand.
- The share of demand for HBO Max action/adventure originals in the U.A.E. was 6.2% this quarter. In this report HBO Max’s share of demand in this genre was smaller only in Finland (6.1%).
Top Digital Original Series in the United Arab Emirates
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in the U.A.E: