Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United States in Q3, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United States Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- The US is the market in this report with the lowest share of demand for digital original dramas (32.3%). This is well below the global share of demand for dramas (47.8%).
- The reality and animation genres saw some of the largest quarter-on-quarter growth in their US demand shares, up from 6.5% and 7.0% in Q2 respectively.
- While the documentary genre has seen some of the greatest growth in its digital original demand share over the past few quarters, it levelled off in Q3 2021. This quarter the genre’s 10.3% share is slightly down from 10.5% in Q2.
- Comedy drama ranked higher in the US than any other market in this report. It was the second most in-demand digital original subgenre, with demand only 4% lower than demand for the top ranked subgenre: superhero series.
- Thriller ranked lower in the US than in any other market in this report. As the sixth ranked subgenre in this market, it ranked lower than its global rank–third.
United States Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- In the US, the share of demand for Amazon Prime Video originals (8.6%) was the smallest in this report and well below this platform’s share of global demand for digital originals (12.1%).
- Original series from Disney+ made up the second largest share of demand by platform in the US this quarter. While this platform’s demand share came behind only Netflix, at 8.9% it was significantly smaller than Disney+’s share of demand in other markets in this report.
- The share of demand for originals from Other platforms not broken out here accounted for 15.2% of demand in the US in Q3 2021. This is the largest share of demand for this category out of markets in this report and an increase from last quarter’s share (14.9%). The US is a crowded market for streaming content and is only getting more competitive.
- The most in-demand digital original series in the US for Q3 2021 is Stranger Things. It had 42.61 times the demand of the average title in the US. Stranger Things also topped the ranking of most in-demand digital originals in Hungary this quarter.
- Titans was the second most in-demand digital original in the US this quarter–a higher rank than it reached in any other market in this report. It had 37.93 times the average series demand in Q3.
- Two musical comedies ranked higher in the US than any other market we looked at. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series and Schmigadoon! ranked as the 29th and 32nd most in-demand digital original respectively in the US this quarter.
United States Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Similar to the overall share of demand, the share of demand for drama originals from Other platforms in the US (13.6%) was the largest of any market covered in this report.
- In the US, the share of demand for drama originals from Paramount+ was 4.5%. This is the platform’s second largest share of drama demand in this report. It is also larger than the platform’s global share of drama demand–2.7%.
- In the share over time chart we can see that Netflix’s share of demand for drama originals fell below 50% in the US for the first time this quarter.
- The US was the one market in this report where Netflix looks to still be holding its own in the action/adventure genre against Disney+. 28.7% of demand for action/adventure originals was for a Netflix original.
- HBO Max achieved its largest share of demand for action/adventure series in the US in this report. 19.9% of demand for action/adventure digital originals was for an HBO Max original.
- The share of action/adventure demand for Amazon Prime Video originals was the lowest in the US of markets in this report. The platform’s 8.4% share of demand here is well below its global share of demand for the quarter (12.5%).
Top Digital Original Series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q3 2021 across all platforms in the US:
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United States television industry overview.