Parrot Analytics SVOD platform trend reports reveal which SVOD’s digital original series are appealing most to audiences in a market during the quarter, dive deeper into how this looks for the dynamic action and adventure genre and shed light on the overall size of digital original series within the entire market.
The key questions investigated in this report:
1. Are French audiences demanding more linear or more digital content?
2. Which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by French audiences and how is this evolving?
3. In the Action and Adventure genre, which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by French audiences and how is this evolving?
Are French audiences demanding more linear or digital content?
• 15.2% of all expressed demand in France this quarter is for a digital original series from local or global streaming platforms. This is almost identical to the global figure of 15.3%.
• This means that linear series, originating from more traditional network, cable and satellite platforms, still account for a large majority of audience attention in this market.
• Streaming originals do outperform linear originals on a per-unit basis in France. The digital original demand share is higher than the title share by 3.3%.
Which SVOD’s original series are most in-demand by French audiences?
• In France, Netflix originals have the majority of 2019 Q4’s demand. 57.4% of French demand for SVOD original series was for a Netflix title.
• The French demand share for Netflix is slightly higher than the global demand share for the quarter of 55.8%.
• Although Disney+ did not officially launch in France during 2019 Q4, French audiences expressed strong demand for originals from the platform. With a 4.5% demand share Disney+ is fourth in the market, ahead of CBS All Access titles.
The next chart shows how the demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• The most impactful change on French demand shares in these 12 months is the global launch of Disney+ in November. The newly arrived titles affected Netflix most of the incumbent platforms. The demand share for Netflix series in France dropped around 7% from October to December 2019.
• The demand shares for originals from Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access originals all declined as well over the same three months, but all by less than 1%.
• The ‘Other’ category significantly increased in demand share towards the end of the year, going from 10.1% in October to 14.9% in December. This is due to the launch of Apple TV+ in France.
Which SVOD’s Action and Adventure original series are demanded most by French audiences?
• Netflix titles lead in France for action and adventure digital originals this quarter. 34.5% of demand in this genre is for a Netflix original series.
• This differs from the global average for the quarter. Worldwide, Netflix’s action and adventure demand share of 32.7% is lower than the DC Universe share of 33.1%. For comparison in France, the DC Universe share is second highest with 25.3% of the market.
• New global platform Disney+ has immediately gained the third largest demand share in France with 21.9%.
The next chart shows how the action and adventure demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• The demand shares over time chart shows the strong impact on French audiences of the global arrival of Disney+ originals.
• Between October and December 2019, Netflix’s demand share in this genre is down by 11.3%. However, from November to December the trend reversed and Netflix gained 2.3% demand share.
• Proportionally, Amazon Prime Video was impacted most by the arrival of Disney+. The demand share for Amazon Prime Video action and adventure digital originals dropped from 15.2% in October to 8.5% in December.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of the SVOD market in this country. To access more granular platform demand trends for specific platforms, genres, timeframes and more, contact your Parrot Analytics representative to discuss the Analyse tier.