Parrot Analytics SVOD platform trend reports reveal which SVOD’s digital original series are appealing most to audiences in a market during these three months, dive deeper into how this looks for the dynamic action and adventure genre and shed light on the overall size of digital original series within the entire market.
The key questions investigated in this report:
1. Are Mexican audiences demanding more linear or more digital content?
2. Which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by Mexican audiences and how is this evolving?
3. In the Action and Adventure genre, which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by Mexican audiences and how is this evolving?
Are Mexican audiences demanding more linear or digital content?
• In Mexico, 15.3% of all demand for series between July and September 2020 was expressed for a digital original series. Series originating from a linear network accounted for 84.7% of TV demand.
• The digital original demand share in Mexico is lower than the global demand share for the same three months of 18.1%.
• Digital original series make up 13.8% of the titles, less than the 15.3% demand share. This means that the average digital original series has higher demand than the average linear series. However, this difference is as high as it is in other markets.
Which SVOD’s original series are most in-demand by Mexican audiences?
• Between July and September 2020, 55.8% of all demand for digital originals was expressed for a Netflix original series.
• Mexico’s demand share for Netflix series is roughly in line with the global Netflix demand share of 56.3%.
• Mexico is a strong market for Disney+ originals. Globally, Disney+ has the sixth highest share behind Apple TV+. This high demand is despite the fact Disney+ has not yet launched in Mexico.
The next chart shows how the demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• As in many markets, the biggest event on this chart is the global launch of Disney+ in November 2019. The Disney+ demand share in Mexico has tailed off since but will likely revive with the arrival of The Mandalorian S2 in October 2020 and then the official Mexico launch of the service in November 2020.
• Netflix originals series have been above 50% demand share in Mexico over the most recent 12 months, except for December 2019. In the most recent movement, the Netflix share dipped 3.6% from August to September 2020.
• The demand share for digital originals from platforms outside the largest five is trending upwards over the most recent few months. The most in-demand series from these between July and September 2020 is La Resistencia from Spain’s Movistar+.
Which SVOD’s Action and Adventure original series are demanded most by Mexican audiences?
• Action and adventure series are an important part of the digital original series landscape. Many of the largest streaming services are competing in this arena, with some of the most important subscription-driving tentpole series in this genre.
• In Mexico, series from the almost entirely action and adventure-focused DC Universe beat Netflix originals by 2.2% to claim the highest demand share during July to September 2020.
• Third and fourth is also close, with just 2.3% separating the Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video demand shares.
The next chart shows how the action and adventure demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• The 12-month chart shows how the global launch of Disney+ had a much larger impact in the Mexican digital original action and adventure market than the overall digital original market.
• In the most recent months, the share for Amazon Prime Video series has increased from 9.5% in August to 20.8% in September 2020. The most demanded Amazon original between July and September is The Boys.
• Over the 12 months, the Netflix demand share peaks in August 2020 with 39.2%. The high demand in this month is mostly driven by the release of The Umbrella Academy S2.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of the SVOD market in this country. To access more granular platform demand trends for specific platforms, genres, timeframes and more, contact your Parrot Analytics representative.