Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Canada in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Canada from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
Canada Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Canada gave the second largest share of demand to the comedy genre this quarter. The 16% share of demand for the genre was higher than the genre’s global share of demand (14.3%).
- Reality series were very popular with Canadian audiences in Q1 2022 who gave the genre a 13.6% share of demand.
- Canada had a 1.1% share of demand for sports content this quarter. It was slightly higher than the global share of demand (1%).
- Canada was one of three markets (along with France and the US) in this report where animated sitcom ranked in the top ten subgenres in this quarter.
- Crime drama ranked as the most in-demand subgenre in Canada in this quarter. It edged out sitcom by 4% demand in Q1 2022.
- Competition reality was the only reality subgenre that ranked in the top ten in Canada this quarter, just making the cut in tenth place.
Canada Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Content from HBO achieved its third largest demand share in Canada this quarter. The 5.9% share of demand from Canada was above its global share of demand (5.2%).
- Despite making up the largest share of demand in Canada in this quarter, the demand share given by Canadian audiences (6.8%) to Netflix content was significantly lower than the global share of demand (10.4%).
- Canada was one of three markets (along with Portugal and the US) where content from FOX was most successful this quarter. In all three markets FOX reached its largest share of demand (3.6%) in this report.
- Saturday Night Live, the comedy from NBC, was the most in-demand show in Canada in with 32.69 times the average series demand in Q1 2022.
- The Book of Boba Fett, from Disney+, was the most in-demand action/adventure series in Canada in Q1 2022 with 26.09 times the average series demand.
- Star Trek: Picard seems to have a special place in the hearts of Canadian audiences. The action/adventure from Paramount+ ranked higher in Canada than in any other market covered in this report.
Top Series in Canada
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in Canada:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report.