Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United Kingdom from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United Kingdom digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- British audiences had the largest share of demand for the comedy genre in this report. The UK’s 16.0% share of demand for this genre was above the global share (13.8%).
- The UK has consistently been one of the most documentary-loving markets. Its 8.3% share of demand for the genre was the largest in this report and well above the global average (5.2%).
- British audiences gave a notably small share of demand to animated content. The 7.6% share in this market was the smallest in this report and below the global share of demand for animation (12.4%).
- The United Kingdom was one of five markets in this report where crime drama was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022. The others were Australia, Italy, Canada, and Spain.
- Comedy drama ranked as the third most in-demand subgenre in the UK in 2022. This was the highest rank the subgenre reached in this report.
- Low demand in the UK for animated content is also apparent when looking at the top subgenres. Japanese animation ranked as the fifth most in-demand subgenre, the lowest rank for this subgenre in this report.
United Kingdom platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Content from BBC is hugely popular in its home market. 17.2% of demand for series in the UK was for a BBC show. This was the only market in this report where BBC took the top spot, but more impressively, no other channel or platform came close to having this large of a market share in any of the markets we covered.
- Not only is local content from the BBC succeeding in the UK, shows from ITV made up a 7.1% share of demand for all shows in the UK–a share equal to the demand for all Netflix originals in 2022.
- Original content from Disney branded channels and platforms made up a 3.0% share of demand in the UK in 2022, its lowest share across markets in this report.
- The global hit, Doctor Who, achieved its highest rank in its home market where it was the second most in-demand show of 2022. This was the most in-demand local production in the UK for the year.
- Two reality series from ITV, Britain’s Got Talent and Love Island UK both ranked among the top twenty most in-demand shows in the UK and helped contribute to ITV’s second largest share of demand in its home market.
- Derry Girls, from Channel 4, wrapped up its three season run in 2022 and had 16.1 times the average series demand for the year in the UK.
Top digital original series in the United Kingdom
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 in the United Kingdom across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United Kingdom television industry overview.