Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United Statesdigital original genre and subgenre preferences
- American audiences had the largest share of demand for the reality genre (15.0%) across all markets in this report.
- With a 27.6% share of demand, the US was the market with the lowest interest in the drama genre in Q1 2023. It was the only market in this report with less than 30% demand share for this genre.
- Demand for the documentary genre remained high in the US. The 8.0% share of demand for this genre was substantially higher than in other markets we looked at and the same share of demand as in 2022.
- The US was the only market in this report in which sitcom was the most in-demand subgenre of Q1 2023.
- The US was also the only market where the cartoon subgenre ranked in the top 10 in this report. The subgenre lies at the intersection of animation and children’s content, two popular genres in the US.
- Reality was a distinctly popular genre in the US this quarter and competition reality was the most in-demand reality subgenre, ranking as the ninth most in-demand subgenre overall for the quarter.
United States platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- The US was unique in this report because NBC (5.9%) had a larger share of demand for its shows than CBS (5.7%). In all other markets in this report, CBS had a larger share of demand.
- Both Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon original content made up a larger share of demand in the US than in any other market in this report with a 2.8% and 2.6% share of demand, respectively, in Q1 2023.
- 2.5% of demand for shows in the US was for a show from The CW. This was a larger share of demand for content from this channel than in any other market in this report.
- The perennially popular animated comedy, South Park, reached its highest rank in the US and Ireland in this report, two markets where it was the second most in-demand show for the quarter.
- The US was the only market in this report where Saturday Night Live ranked in the 20 most in-demand shows for the quarter. The long-running sketch comedy had 60.7 times the average series demand.
- Kids content accounts for a high share of demand in the US (10.3%). Both SpongeBob SquarePants and Sesame Street performed well in this market ranking higher than in any other market in this report (1st and 11th respectively).
Top digital original series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2023 in the United States across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.