Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Canada from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Canada digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Canadian audiences expressed their largest share of demand for drama digital originals in 2020 with 42.2% demand share. This is the second lowest share of demand for drama across markets.
- The documentary and children’s genres saw the greatest growth in Canada in 2020, gaining +2.0% and +2.2% demand share respectively from 2019.
- In particular, Canada has the second highest demand share for both the comedy and reality genres of markets in this report (17.4% and 3.6% respectively). These are trending in opposite directions with comedy’s share of demand declining and reality’s demand share increasing from 2019.
- As with most markets in this report, sci-fi drama is the most in-demand subgenre in Canada for 2020.
- As Canadian audiences interest in the comedy genre declined, both comedy drama and sitcom fell one spot in the subgenre rankings while crime drama and thriller increased their rank in 2020.
- Canada is one of three markets in this report, along with Australia and Mexico, where the superhero series subgenre is the second most in-demand subgenres for the year.
Canada platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Netflix captured 48.9% of Canadian demand for digital originals in 2020. Canada is one of three markets in this report (along with Australia and Spain) where Netflix’s demand share has dipped below 50% for the year.
- With 6.0%, CBS All Access achieved its highest demand share for digital originals in Canada of all markets in this report. It also saw the largest growth in its demand share in Canada from 2019.
- Hulu had its second largest demand share in Canada for these markets in 2020. While down slightly from last year, it is nearly the same as the 10% demand share it had in 2018. This shows Hulu has had surprising stability in Canada despite multiple new competitors.
- The most in-demand digital original series in Canada in 2020 is The Mandalorian. For the year it had 27.6 times the demand of the average series.
- The Hulu original Letterkenny achieved its highest rank in Canada of all markets in this report with 13.1 times the demand of the average show.
- With 15.5 times the demand of the average show, Netflix’s The Witcher was the second most in-demand digital original in Canada. Along with Australia, Canada is the market where this show ranked highest for the year.
Canada platform demand share for drama & action/adventure digital originals
- CBS All Access captured 6.9% of demand in Canada for drama digital originals in 2020. This is its best result in markets in this report. However, this is a decrease from last year when CBS All Access accounted for 7.6% of demand for drama originals.
- Hulu has held its demand share for drama originals relatively constant over time. It accounted for 11.2% of demand for drama originals in 2019 and 11.0% this year.
- Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have seen the largest declines in their drama demand share in Canada down from 57.9% and 15.4% respectively in 2019.
- 28.6% of demand expressed for an action/adventure original in Canada was for a Netflix original. Netflix’s share in Canada is lower than in most markets.
- CBS All Access’s share of demand for action/adventure originals was the second highest in Canada of markets in this report. Star Trek: Picard was the 5th most in-demand digital original in Canada for the year.
- Last year, DC Universe’s content accounted for largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Canada. Although HBO Max took over those shows, a lack of new premieres and increasing competitive pressure mean that HBO Max only had the fourth largest share of demand for action/adventure originals.
Top digital original series in Canada
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.