Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for France from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
France digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Drama accounts for 53.2% of demand for digital original series in France in 2020. France is one of the three most drama-loving markets in this report along with Spain and Italy. These are the only countries with a greater than 50% demand share for drama.
- French audiences’ 2.2% share of demand for horror originals is the lowest of markets in this report. Additionally, it is a decrease from 2019 when horror accounted for a 3.7% share of demand in France.
- France has the second lowest demand share of markets in this report for the comedy and children’s genres, with 14.2% and 3.2% respectively. However, the demand share for children’s content increased from 1.8% in 2019.
- Sci-fi drama is the most demanded subgenre in France for 2020. France is one of three markets, along with Germany and the UK, where crime drama was the second most in-demand subgenre behind sci-fi drama.
- French audiences warmed up to sitcoms this year. In 2019 this was the 10th most in-demand subgenre but this year it is the 8th most in-demand.
- Historical drama was the 7th most in-demand subgenre in France in 2020. This is the highest rank it achieved in this report and was also ranked 7th in the UK.
France platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Netflix captured a majority of demand for digital original series in France in 2020. With a 57.2% demand share, France is the second most Netflix-dominated market in this report.
- French audiences express a particularly low share of demand for original content from other platforms. This is likely driven by Netflix’s dominance here and the lack of a major local SVOD producing original content.
- In the trend chart we can see that despite Netflix’s large demand share in France it has been consistently chipped away. Netflix’s share of demand was hardest hit in France by the entrance of Disney+ and Apple TV+ last year and this downward trend has continued in 2020. In Q4 2020 alone, Netflix’s demand share decline by -6%.
- 2020’s most in-demand digital original series in France is The Mandalorian. It has 24.7 times more demand than the average title.
- Netflix’s Lucifer achieved its highest rank of markets in this report in France as the second most in-demand show for 2020. It was 18.5 times more in-demand than the average show.
- The CBS All Access digital original, Why Women Kill did particularly well in the French market this year. It had 6.6 times the demand of the average show here.
France platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Netflix has the largest demand share of drama originals in France with 63.8%. This is the second highest demand share in this category for Netflix of markets in this report.
- In France, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video were in a tight contest for the second largest demand share for original drama series in 2020. Hulu just edged out Amazon with a 10.3% share compared to Amazon’s 10.2%.
- While the demand share for dramas from other platforms was the smallest in France at 6.4%, this category has seen steady and consistent growth in the second half of the year. In December it finished the year with a 12.9% share of demand for drama originals, more than double its share for the whole year.
- In the action/adventure genre, Netflix originals capture the most demand with a 34.0% demand share in France for 2020, similar to the platform’s above average demand share overall in this market.
- In August, following the release of The Umbrella Academy, Netflix’s demand share reached a high point of 48.4%. Its demand share in this genre has not been this high since July 2019.
- Amazon Prime Video’s action/adventure demand share has seen largest range of platforms in France. It started the year at a low point, 6.8%, when faced with competition from both The Mandalorian and The Witcher. Its highest monthly demand share, 26.8% was reached in September when demand for The Boys was in full swing.
Top digital original series in France
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date France television industry overview.