Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Canada from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Canada digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Both Canada and Brazil had a 3.1% share of demand for digital original horror content in 2021, the largest share of demand for the genre in this report. However, while Brazil’s share shrank from last year, Canada’s grew from a 2.8% share in 2020.
- Canada is the most comedy-loving market in this report. 18% of demand for digital originals was for a comedy. This is an increase from the genre’s 17.4% share of demand last year and the first year that Canada has a greater share of demand for comedy than America.
- While the documentary genre has seen its share of demand grow in most markets in this report, in Canada it has fallen from 5.3% in 2020 to 4.7% in 2021.
- The popularity of sitcoms in particular helped make Canada the most comedy-loving market in this report. Sitcom was the third most in-demand subgenre in Canada this year-its highest rank in this report.
- As the 7th most in-demand subgenre this year, animated comedy also ranks higher in Canada than in any other market in this report. This shows that Canadians’ love of comedy spans both animation and live action.
- While lighter comedy subgenres have succeeded in Canada, the opposite is true for more serious crime dramas. As the 6th most in-demand subgenre for the year, crime drama ranked lower in Canada than in any other market in this report.
Canada platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Netflix captured 40.0% of Canadian demand for digital originals in 2021. This is Netflix’s second smallest share of demand in this report.
- With a 6.3%, Paramount+ achieved its highest demand share for digital originals in Canada of all markets in this report. This is up slightly from its 6.0% demand share in 2020 when the platform was still branded CBS All Access.
- HBO Max more than doubled its demand share in Canada in 2021 compared to 2020. Its 6.8% share of demand for original series was up from 3.3% in 2020.
- The most in-demand digital original series in Canada in 2021 is The Mandalorian. For the year it had 23.44 times the demand of the average series. It was also the top series last year in Canada, but its demand has fallen slightly this year from 27.6x in 2020.
- The Hulu original Letterkenny achieved its highest rank in Canada of all markets in this report with 13.6 times the demand of the average show. The local setting and themes of the show have resonated with Canadians.
- Sci-fi series across multiple franchises rank higher in Canada than other markets in this report (The Mandalorian, Star Trek: Discovery, and The Expanse) and seem to point to a pattern of high demand for space-themed content in this market.
Canada platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Canada had the largest share of demand for Paramount+ original dramas in this report, which accounted for a 5.5% share of demand for all original dramas in 2021.
- Canada was the market in this report where Netflix had the second smallest share of demand for digital original dramas (46.7%).
- HBO Max original dramas found fans in Canada. Original series from HBO Max made up 4.2% of demand for all digital original dramas in 2021, a larger share for the platform than in any other market in this report.
- In this report, Paramount+ reached its largest share of demand for originals in the action/adventure genre in Canada where it had a 5.9% share of demand in 2021. This is nearly twice the platform’s global share of demand in the genre (3.0%).
- Disney+ more than doubled its share of demand for action/adventure originals in Canada this year. In 2020 its originals accounted for 19.3% of demand in the genre but that has increased to 39% this year.
- HBO Max was able to grow its demand share this year despite aggressive growth from Disney+. In 2020 its originals made up 12.9% of demand in the action/adventure genre. This year it has increased to 16.3%.
Top digital original series in Canada
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.