Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for France from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
France digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- France was one of three markets in this report (along with Spain and Italy) where drama accounted for a larger than 50% share of demand for digital originals in 2021.
- A result of drama’s popularity in France is that comedy has the second lowest share of demand in France of markets in this report. The genre’s 13% share of demand this year was a decrease from its 14.2% share in 2020.
- Animation saw a more than 50% growth in its demand share in France this year. In 2020, animation accounted for a 4.0% share of demand but that has increased to 6.6% this year.
- France was one of four markets in this report where sci-fi drama was the most in-demand subgenre of the year. In France, sci-fi drama had the greatest lead over the second ranked subgenre.
- Historical dramas have caught audiences’ attention in France. This was one of three markets in this report (along with Italy and the UK) where this subgenre was ranked highest as the 7th most in-demand subgenre for the year.
- France was one of only two markets in this report where mystery drama ranked in the top ten most in-demand subgenres for the year.
France platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Netflix has lost 10% of its demand share in France over the past year. In 2020, Netflix originals accounted for 57.2% of demand here but this year that has dropped to 47.2%-barely above the platform’s global share of demand (47.1%).
- France has one of the lower demand shares for Apple TV+ originals in this report. Originals from the platform made up 6.8% of demand for all originals in 2021. However, the platform’s demand share surged toward the end of the year, peaking at 9% in November 2021.
- Amazon Prime Video’s demand held up well in the French market. As one of the more established platforms, it has been under assault from new competitors around the world. It managed to slightly grow its demand share in France to 10.1% in 2021, up from 10.0% in 2020.
- 2021’s most in-demand digital original series in France is La Casa de Papel. It has 20.28 times more demand than the average title.
- Unsurprisingly, Netflix’s French drama, Lupin, excelled in its home market where it ranked as the 20th most in-demand digital original series for the year.
- French demand for the drama genre crosses a variety of subgenres. Crime dramas (La Casa de Papel), Sci-fi dramas (Raised by Wolves and Foundation),and teen dramas (Elite) all ranked higher in France than other markets in this report.
France platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- France was one of the three markets in this report with the largest share of demand for Netflix original dramas. In 2021 Netflix’s dramas made up 55.7% of demand for the genre.
- However, in December 2021 Netflix’s share of demand in this category finally fell below 50%.
- The share of demand in France for Apple TV+ original dramas surged in the last quarter of the year, peaking at an 11.1% share of demand in November.
- Originals from Disney+ made up 39.6% of demand for action adventure originals in France this year. The platform’s share of demand peaked in July when it had a 47.7% share of demand in the genre.
- Netflix came closest to reclaiming the top spot in the action/adventure genre in December this year when it reached a 35.5% share of demand.
- The Star Trek franchise does not appeal as much to French audiences as it does in other markets. Paramount+, which relies heavily on these series, has a share of demand in the action/adventure genre here (2.8%) below its global share of demand (3.0%).
Top digital original series in France
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.