Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Mexico from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Mexico digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Mexico had the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals of markets in this report. Over a fifth of Mexican demand for digital original series was for an action/adventure original in 2021.
- Mexican audiences also gave a larger share of demand for animated digital originals than any other market in this report, with an 8.3% share in 2021.
- The 5.4% share of demand for children’s series in Mexico is the third largest share of demand for the genre in this report and above the global average (4.0%).
- Superhero series was the most in-demand digital original subgenre in Mexico in 2021. Additionally it had the largest lead in this report over the second ranked subgenre, sci-fi drama, which had 40% less demand in2021.
- Sci-fi action was the 6th most in-demand digital original subgenre in Mexico in 2021. This was the highest rank it achieved across all markets in this report.
- The comedy drama subgenre found success in Mexico this year. It was the third most in-demand subgenre for the year and ranked higher in only the US in this report.
Mexico platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Mexican audiences expressed the largest share of demand for Disney+ originals out of all markets in this report. With a 15.2% demand share, it is more than double the global average for Disney+. Disney+ content has remained consistently popular in Mexico. Last year, when the platform had a 7.7% share of demand, it was still more than double Disney+’s global share of demand for the year.
- Local platform Blim has succeeded in the face of growing competition this year. It grew its demand share to 3.7% in 2021 from 3.3% in 2020.
- Paramount+ content has struggled to find fans in Mexico. The platform’s 2.6% share of demand for original series in Mexico was the smallest in this report and behind even local platform, Blim.
- In both Mexico and Brazil, WandaVision was the most in-demand digital original of 2021. In Mexico it had 19.04 times the average series demand.
- High demand for animation in Mexico spans multiple genres. Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation(anime), Animaniacs(cartoon), and Invincible(action) all ranked higher in Mexico than in any other market in this report.
- The Mexican mystery thriller, ¿Quiénmatóa Sara?, had high demand in its home market where it ranked as the 47th most in-demand digital original for the year.
Mexico platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Netflix original dramas captured a majority of demand for original dramas in Mexico. Netflix’s 54.3% of demand for dramas in Mexico was above its global share of demand for the year (51.3%).
- Amazon Prime Video saw an impressive late year surge in its share of demand for original dramas. It ended the year on a high note with 16.2% of demand for original dramas in December.
- Local platform Blim carved out a respectable 2.9% share of demand for original dramas in Mexico this year.
- Audiences in Mexico gave the largest share of attention to action/adventure originals from Disney+ this year (54.4%). Mexico was the only market in this report where action/adventure originals from Disney+ made up a majority of demand in the genre.
- Netflix has been negatively impacted the most by the success of Disney+ in Mexico. Mexico was the only market in this report where Netflix has a share of demand for action/adventure originals lower than 20%.
- A love of the superhero genre in Mexico helped propel HBO Max to a greater share of demand than Netflix for three months this year (August–October).
Top digital original series in Mexico
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Mexico television industry overview.