Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the Ireland in Q3, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Ireland from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Ireland Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Ireland was one of the top three comedy-loving markets in this report with an 18.1% share of digital original demand.
- Among markets in this report, Ireland had the third smallest share of demand for both drama and horror-more serious genres that contrast with the popular comedy genre here.
- The share of demand in Ireland for digital original drama (44.7%) and horror (1.6%) series is well below the global share of demand for these genres–47.8% and 2.3% respectively.
- Sitcom ranked higher in Ireland than in any other market in this report. It was the 3rd most in-demand digital original subgenre in Q3 here.
- Comedy drama however was the 6th ranked subgenre in Ireland, a lower rank than in 5 other markets. Irish audiences have a clear preference in their taste for comedy–sitcoms over comedy drama.
Ireland Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Nearly 10% of demand for digital originals in Ireland was for an original series from Hulu. This is the platform’s largest share of demand in this report.
- Apple TV+ also had a notably large share of demand for digital originals in Ireland. 9.7% of demand for digital originals here was for an Apple TV+ original this quarter.
- Hulu’s share of demand in Ireland saw a sharp increase in September when it jumped to 13.2% of demand for all digital originals, overtaking even Amazon Prime Video’s share of demand for that month.
- Ireland was one of two markets covered in this report where Ted Lasso was the most in-demand digital original for the quarter. Ireland’s love of comedy helped propel the show to 15.49 times the average series demand this quarter.
- Another comedy, Letterkenny from Hulu, also found success in Ireland this quarter. It ranked higher here than in any market we covered as the 34th most in-demand digital original with 2.78 times the average series demand.
- Doom Patrol was the highest ranked original series from HBO Max in Ireland this quarter. As the 16th most in-demand digital original it ranked higher in Ireland than any other market in this report.
Ireland Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Amazon Prime Video had a larger share of demand for its drama originals in Ireland (14%) than in any other market covered in this report.
- Similarly, in Ireland Hulu original dramas made up the largest share of demand in this report–16.5%.
- It’s apparent in the share over time chart how demand for Hulu originals grew in Ireland this quarter. In September, Hulu original dramas accounted for 21.4% of drama original demand in Ireland.
- Netflix had its second smallest share of digital original action/adventure demand in Ireland of markets in this report. Additionally, the platform’s 17.6% share of demand in the genre was below its global share of demand (30.6%).
- In nearly all markets in this report, Disney+’s share of demand for action/adventure originals peaked in July 2021. In Ireland however the platform’s share peaked in April and has been trending down since then.
- A year ago in September/October 2020, Amazon Prime Video had the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Ireland, surpassing even Netflix and Disney+.
Top Digital Original Series in Ireland
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q3 2021 across all platforms in Ireland: