Parrot Analytics Genre Trend reports reveal which genres and subgenres appealed to a market's audiences the most during the quarter.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
1. Which genres are most in-demand for Brazilian audiences this quarter?
2. How do genre trends in Brazil compare to global trends for the quarter?
3. Which subgenres are most in-demand for Brazilian audiences this quarter?
4. For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by Brazilian audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall shares?
For all titles, which genres are Brazilian audiences demanding most?
• Over the three months studies, Brazilian audiences expressed the most total demand for series in the drama genre. 40.6% of demand expressed was for series in this genre. The overall most demanded drama series in this period is ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy.
• With 15.2%, comedy series are the second most in-demand genre. The Brazilian comedy series most demanded by Brazilian audiences over these months is Multishow’s sitcom Vai Que Cola.
• Series in the reality genre have 8.6% of Brazilian demand, just outpacing children’s content which has a 8.4% share of demand. RecordTV’s A Fazenda is the most demanded reality series in Brazil over November 2020 to January 2021.
How do Genre Demand Shares in Brazil compare to global trends?
• Compared to global genre demand shares, Brazilian audiences have relatively more demand for variety series in these three months. The 6.4% share for this genre is +2.1% higher than the worldwide average demand share of 4.3%.
• This is driven by highly demanded local variety series like SBT’s The Noite Com Danilo Gentili and RecordTV’s Hora Do Faro.
• The documentary genre has around half the demand share in Brazil as it does globally. However, individual documentary series are still attracting the attention of Brazilian audiences like National Geographic’s Cosmos: Possible Worlds.
For all titles, which subgenres are Brazilian audiences demanding most?
• Although drama is the largest genre by demand in Brazil, the largest subgenre is the comedy subgenre sitcom.
• Four drama subgenres are present in Brazil’s ten most demanded. Crime drama is most demanded drama subgenre, followed closely by telenovela. While crime drama ranks lower in this market than it does globally, telenovela ranks eighth globally and third in Brazil.
• Brazilian audiences enjoy series in the competition reality subgenre. This subgenre is the only one in this chart that is not also one of the worldwide top ten subgenres between November 2020 to January 2021.
For digital original titles, which genres are Brazilian audiences demanding most?
• The most striking difference from the overall Brazilian series market is in the action and adventure genre. In the digital original space, this genre accounts for 18.7% of demand, +12.0% more than the overall Brazilian share of 6.7%. Many streaming platforms have invested heavily in this genre including Disney+, whose series The Mandalorian is most demanded title in this segment.
• The Brazilian demand share for the factual genre is higher than the global average in the overall market, but remains an open opportunity in the digital original space where it accounts for less than 0.1% demand share.
• Streaming services are also yet to capitalize on the strong Brazilian demand for variety series. Variety series make up only 0.7% of demand for digital original series, -5.7% less than the genre’s overall demand share. Apple TV+’s Carpool Karaoke is the most in-demand of these series in Brazil over the months analysed.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of genre trends in this market. To access more granular genre demand trends for specific platforms, types of titles, timeframes and more, please contact your Parrot Analytics representative.