Parrot Analytics Genre Trend reports reveal which genres and subgenres appealed to a market's audiences the most during the quarter.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
1. Which genres are most in-demand for German audiences this quarter?
2. How do German genre trends compare to global trends for the quarter?
3. Which subgenres are most in-demand for German audiences this quarter?
4. For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by German audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall shares?
For all titles, which genres do German audiences demand most?
• The most demanded type of series in Germany are drama series. 40% of all demand expressed in Germany this quarter is for a drama title. The top title in this genre in Q4 2019 is Game Of Thrones.
• Comedies are also high demand in this market. 16% of the total quarterly demand is for comedy series, with the most demanded title being The Big Bang Theory.
• Reality series also occupy a large segment of audience attention this quarter. 12% of demand this quarter is for a reality title.
How do Genre Demand Shares in Germany compare to global trends?
• Compared to global audiences, Germans are 2% less likely to express demand for drama series.
• Conversely, reality series have a 1.7% higher demand share in Germany than they do worldwide. The most demanded reality show in Germany this quarter is The Voice of Germany.
• The German demand share for comedy and factual series is less than 0.05% from the global average share, meaning German audiences have typical demand for these titles.
For all titles, which subgenres are German audiences demanding most?
• The most demanded subgenre in Germany in 2019 Q4 is crime drama. Crime dramas account for 9.4% of all expressed demand. The most demanded crime drama in the quarter is Peaky Blinders.
• Sitcoms are the next most in-demand with a 7.3% demand share, with superhero series third most demanded with 4.0%. Globally, these are also the top three subgenres.
• Germans enjoy sci-fi dramas more than the worldwide average. The subgenre is 4th largest in Germany, but 6th largest globally.
For digital original titles, which genres are German audiences demanding most?
• When only digital original titles are considered, the German demand share for dramas
• goes up by 10%. 50% of all demand expressed for digital original series is for a drama title. Stranger Things is the most demanded title in this category.
• Unlike the total market, the second highest share belongs to digital original action and adventure series. This genre has 16% of the digital original share in Germany, 9% than the overall action and adventure share. The most demanded series in this category for 2019 Q4 is The Mandalorian.
• The most under-served genre in German digital originals is reality series. The genre only has 2% of digital original demand share, compared to 12% overall.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Germany television industry overview.