Parrot Analytics Genre Trend reports reveal which genres and subgenres appealed to a market's audiences the most during the quarter.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
1. Which genres are most in-demand for Spanish audiences this quarter?
2. How do genre trends in Spain compare to global trends for the quarter?
3. Which subgenres are most in-demand for Spanish audiences this quarter?
4. For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by Spanish audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall shares?
For all titles, which genres are Spanish audiences demanding most?
• In Spain, drama series account for exactly half of all expressed demand between April and June 2020. The most in-demand drama for these months is HBO’s Game Of Thrones.
• Comedy is the second most demanded type of series with a 15.2% share of Spanish demand. The most in-demand comedy is Showtime’s Shameless.
• Variety series have a 4.0% share among audiences in Spain with the most demanded of these titles being Cuatro’s El Hormiguero.
How do Genre Demand Shares in Spain compare to global trends?
• Compared to global average demand shares, the drama genre is more demanded in Spain. The Spanish drama share for this period of 50.0% is 6.4% larger than the genre’s global average demand share.
• Series in the variety (0.3%), horror (0.3%) and factual (0.2%) genres also have shares in Spain higher than the global average.
• The genres that appeal to Spanish audiences least when compared to world audiences are reality, (-2.9%) and animation (-1.7%).
• The demand share for action and adventure series in Spain is the same as the global share for this period.
For all titles, which subgenres are Spanish audiences demanding most?
• Crime drama is the most demanded subgenre in Spain, accounting for 11.9% of all expressed demand between April and June. Crime drama is also the most in-demand subgenre globally.
• Spain’s above-average demand share for drama series is shown here as five of the most demanded subgenres are drama subgenres. This includes the 7th most demanded subgenre, telenovela. Amar Es Para Siempre from TVE is the most in-demand telenovela series in these months.
• Spain’s lower than average share for the animation genre is perhaps explained by lower audience attention for the anime subgenre. Globally, anime is one of the top ten subgenres, but it only reaches 12th in Spain.
For digital original titles, which genres are Spanish audiences demanding most?
• In the Spanish digital original market, dramas take an even larger share of audience attention. The 52.7% demand share is 2.7% higher than overall market share for drama series. Netflix’s La Casa De Papel is the most in-demand drama original for these three months.
• The digital original action & adventure series demand share of 13.5% is nearly double the overall demand share for the same genre, 7.5%.
• SVOD platforms have unrealised potential in the Spanish children’s content space. Children’s series account for 3.5% of digital original demand against 6.7% of overall demand. This difference is especially significant given the generally higher demand for children’s content during these 3 months due to COVID-19 lockdowns.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of genre trends in this market. To access more granular genre demand trends for specific platforms, types of titles, timeframes and more, contact your Parrot Analytics representative.