Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the most popular TV series produced by SVOD platforms in Spain by leveraging Parrot Analytics global TV demand data.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Spain digital TV series 2018 report.
The top 20 most popular Netflix Originals, Amazon Prime Video Originals, Hulu Originals and more in Spain
We measure the audience demand for television content around the world, factoring in all of the following and more:
- Audience video consumption (streaming and downloads)
- Social media engagement (hashtags, liking, sharing)
- Consumer research actions (reading about shows, writing about shows, etc)
Demand for content is calculated daily for tens of thousands of TV shows in 100+ markets across all television distribution platforms: The more consumer effort is required, the more importance we attach to each of the factors above.
This approach results in the industry’s most advanced global TV demand measurement system, allowing us to provide insights on TV series that audiences the world over truly care about.
Just how popular are the most in-demand originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, etc?
We define a digital TV series as a “digital original”: A multi-episode series where the most recent season was produced or first made available on a streaming platform.
By analyzing each TV series’ demand relative to the market average, we are able to classify each TV show into one of the following television series performance categories:
- Below average (34.8% of all TV shows in Spain)
- Average (65.1% of all TV shows in Spain)
- Good (0.1% of all TV shows in Spain)
- Outstanding (0.03% of all TV shows in Spain)
- Exceptional (0.01% of all TV shows in Spain)
The resulting demand distribution curve illustrates how a TV show’s popularity compares to the demand benchmark, which is a measure of the average demand across all titles.
The Parrot Analytics TV content demand distribution curve
A TV show in Spain falls into one of the following performance buckets depending on how many times more or less demand it has compared to the market demand benchmark:
A TV show’s performance is market-specific, e.g. the same show can be in the “Average” range in Spain and in the “Good” range in France. As an example, if a show has 9 times more demand than the demand benchmark, it falls in the “Outstanding” performance range; only 0.03% of all shows in the market reach this high level of demand.
The demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Spain
We are therefore able to make the following observations concerning the top digital originals for 2018 in Spain:
- La Casa De Papel, Narcos, Cable Girls (Las Chicas Del Cable) and La Peste have all reached the “Outstanding” category in 2018; this means these titles had over eight times more demand than the average title (La Peste) and as much as 23 times (La Casa De Papel).
- Spain is a receptive market to local SVOD-produced content: Five of Spain’s twenty most in-demand digital originals are of Spanish-origin.
Download the free Parrot Analytics Global Television Demand Report
Download this report now and discover the latest TV travelability and subgenres data trends for Spain. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Spain Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Spain SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Spain have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Spain is the most wanted relative to it’s Spanish home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which subgenres resonate the most with Spaniards compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Spain looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Spain, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Spain.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.