Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in New Zealand in Q3, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for New Zealand from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
New Zealand Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Horror content is tied for the largest share of demand (3.8%) in NZ of all markets in this report.
- With a 13.8% share of demand, New Zealand audiences’ thirst for the reality genre is among the three strongest markets in this report for Q3 2022.
- New Zealand had the second-largest share of demand for comedy content (14.4%) in this report, nearly a full percentage point above the genre’s global share of 13.5% in Q3 2022.
- New Zealand audiences showed their love for drama subgenres this quarter. Crime Drama ranked 1st, Sci-Fi Drama 3rd, Fantasy Drama ranked 5th and Comedy Drama ranked 7th.
- New Zealand was one of four countries in which Crime Drama was the most in demand subgenre in Q3 2022. Globally, it’s the second most in-demand subgenre in Q3 2022.
- New Zealand was just one of two markets in this reporter where sitcom ranked as the second most in-demand subgenre in Q3 2022, slightly above its global average as the third most in-demand subgenre.
New Zealand Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Netflix made up the largest share of demand in New Zealand in Q3 2022. Audiences in the country gave the platform’s originals 7.7% of demand for the quarter, which is actually below its global average (10.2%).
- Despite three originals from AMC placing among the top 20 most in-demand series in NZ in Q3 – Better Call Saul (2), Breaking Bad (7) and The Walking Dead (17) – the basic cable network accounted for just 2.3% of originals demand in the quarter.
- Content from HBO performed very well in New Zealand this quarter where it accounted the second-largest share of demand for originals in this report with 7.5%, ranking higher than the network’s global share (4.9%).
- Stranger Things was the most in-demand show in New Zealand in Q3 2022 with 37.3 times the average series demand.
- Despite the drama genre’s mid-tier rank in New Zealand overall, Crime Drama was the most in-demand subgenre in the country. Better Call Saul, Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story and Breaking Bad all ranked among the top 10 most in-demand series in Q3 2022. Only Murders in the Building, Hulu’s crime dramedy, ranked 10th.
- The Boys, Amazon’s superhero series, ranked higher in New Zealand (4) than in any other market covered in this report.
Top Series in New Zealand
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q3 2022 across all platforms and networks in New Zealand:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report.