Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Portugal in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Portugal from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
Portugal Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Portuguese audiences gave the largest share of demand to drama series in Q1 2022. The 41.8% share of demand for the genre was higher than its global share of demand (39.3%).
- Action/adventure captured 8.9% share of demand in Portugal in this quarter. This is the largest share of demand for that genre across all markets in this report.
- Despite having accounted for just 0.9% share of demand for all series in Portugal in Q1 2022, demand for factual content in Portugal was 50% higher than its global share of demand (0.6%)
- As the 5th most in-demand subgenre in Q1 2022, superhero series ranks higher in Portugal than in any other market in this report, except for Thailand.
- Portuguese and German audiences seem to have very similar tastes, the top 4 subgenres for both markets were identical with crime drama (1st), Japanese anime (2nd), sitcom (3rd) and sci-fi drama(4th).
- Portugal, the UK, and Venezuela were the only markets to rank both educational subgenres (school and pre-school) in the top 10 most in-demand subgenres.
Portugal Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Despite making up the largest share of demand in Portugal in Q1 2022. The 9.3% demand share was below the global share of demand for Netflix’s content (10.4%).
- Content from Amazon Prime Video made up the second largest share of demand across all markets with 2.7% demand share in Portugal.
- HBO, Fox, The CW and Showtime had a successful quarter in Portugal. With 6.8%, 3.6%, 3.0% and 2.1% respectively, all four platforms achieved the largest share of demand in Portugal across all markets in this report.
- While popular around the globe, The Book of Boba Fett, was particularly successful in Portugal in Q1 2022 where it had 15.05 times the average series demand and ranked as the most in-demand series.
- Attack on Titan, from MBS, was the most in-demand animation series in Portugal this quarter when it had 14.85 times the average series demand.
- Brazilian comedy has travelled well across the Atlantic. Porta dos Fundos, from YouTube, ranked as the 6th most in-demand series in Portugal this quarter.
Top Series in Portugal
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in Portugal: