Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in South Korea in Q3, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for South Korea from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
South Korea Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- South Korea generated the largest audience demand share for the drama genre (52.4%) in Q3 2022 of any market in this report.
- Conversely, the market was last in audience demand share for children’s (2.3%), factual (0.2%), horror (0.6%) and sports (0.3%).
- The variety genre accrued a 6.5% audience demand share in Q3 2022, the highest of any market in this report and well above the genre’s global share (3.5%).
- South Korea was the only market in this report where Romantic Drama was the most in-demand subgenre. Globally, it was the fourth most in-demand subgenre this quarter.
- South Korea was the only market in this report where Historical Drama (10) ranked among the top 10 most in-demand subgenres.
- Thriller (4) ranked higher in South Kora this quarter than any other market in this report.
South Korea Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- South Korea is just one of two markets in this report in which Netflix did not provide the greatest audience demand share. Instead, tvN (11.6%) led the country in Q3 2022.
- In fact, five of the six most in-demand content platforms in South Korea this quarter were local language programming providers: tvN, SBS, KBS, MBC, JTBC.
- South Korea is the only market in this report in which Disney content drew a smaller audience demand share (3.0%) than the platform’s global demand share (4.0%).
- South Korea is just one of two markets in this report in which Stranger Things was not the most in-demand series in Q3 2022. Instead, Squid Game topped the field with 19.0 time more demand than the average TV title in the country.
- Romantic Drama was the most in-demand subgenre in South Korea in Q3, reflected by Our Blues (3), Crash Landing on You (11), Our Beloved Summer (12) and The Flower of Evil (18) all ranking among the top 20 series.
- South Korea is just one of two markets in this report where Netflix (9.9%) did not account for the largest audience demand share for originals. Instead, tvN (11.6%) led the field.
Top Series in South Korea
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q3 2022 across all platforms and networks in South Korea: