Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Brazil from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Brazil digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Brazilian audiences are the most enthusiastic about digital original action/adventure series. With an 18.3% demand share, this genre had a larger demand share in Brazil than in any other market.
- Brazil is tied with Mexico for the largest demand share for horror digital originals in 2020 with 3.3%.
- Compared to the other markets, in 2020 Brazil has a well below average demand share for variety (0.4%) and documentary (2.7%).
- Brazil is the only country in this report where superhero series is the number one most in-demand subgenre for 2020. This is the same as in 2019, showing a strong and consistent preference for this type of content in the Brazilian market.
- Brazilian audiences’ demand for the horror genre can be seen here where the suspense horror subgenre achieved its highest rank of all markets in this report.
- The period drama subgenre also ranked higher in Brazil than any other market in this report. As an example, Anne with an E was the third most in-demand digital original in Brazil for 2020, a higher rank than it achieved in any other market here.
Brazil platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Of the markets in this report, Brazil has the largest demand share for digital original content from both Hulu and HBO Max. This is the only market where Hulu was able to grow its demand share – up from 10.3% in 2019.
- In particular HBO Max’s 5% share of demand is well above that of other markets. This is driven by Brazilian audiences’ love of superhero series and HBO Max’s acquisition of DC Universe shows.
- Brazil has the second lowest share of demand for Disney+ originals (Spain has the lowest share). Brazil is the only market in this report where The Mandalorian was not the most in-demand digital original series for the year.
- The most in-demand digital original series in Brazil for 2020 is Stranger Things with 19.9 times the demand of the average title. Brazil is the only market in this report where Stranger Things was more in-demand than The Mandalorian. This is despite Sci-fi Drama being a less demanded subgenre in Brazil than in several other markets.
- Apple TV+’s See was the 17th most in-demand digital original in Brazil for 2020. It had 9.1 times the demand of the average series there.
- Amazon Prime Video’s original reality series Soltos em Floripa has done well in its home market Brazil. It was the 26th most in-demand digital original for the year and had 7.3 times the demand of the average series.
Brazil platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- In Brazil Hulu has the largest demand share of markets in this report. With 13.6% demand share, Brazil was one of two markets where Hulu beat Amazon to be the platform with the second largest demand share behind Netflix.
- Similarly, Apple TV+ achieved its largest demand share in Brazil of markets in this report.
- The 24 month view shows how demand for CBS All Access original dramas has been squeezed this year. At the beginning of 2019 when season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery was releasing episodes the platform had around an 8% share. This year it has not risen above 5% despite a new season of Star Trek: Discovery at the end of the year.
- Both HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video achieved their largest share of action/adventure original demand in Brazil out of all markets in this report. With 18.0% demand share in 2020, Brazil was the only market where HBO Max’s share was second to Netflix.
- Brazilian audiences’ love of superhero series might explain the success of HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video, whose biggest action/adventure series this year was The Boys.
- It could also explain why Disney+’s demand share is lower here than in any other market. Disney+ was largely dependent on The Mandalorian to drive its action/adventure demand in 2020. However, with many Marvel shows in the pipeline there will soon be many superhero options on Disney+.
Top digital original series in Brazil
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.