Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Germany from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Germany digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- German audiences gave their greatest share of demand for digital originals in the drama genre in 2021. The genre’s 47.1% share of demand here is below its global share of demand–48.3%.
- The share of demand for comedy originals in Germany fell year-on-year. In 2021, 14% of demand for original series was for a comedy compared to 16% last year.
- As with many markets covered in this report, the share of demand for animated original content in Germany increased in 2021 (to 6.5% from 4% in 2020)
- Germany was one of the four markets in this report where sci-fi drama was the most in-demand digital original subgenre for the year. It just edged out superhero series, which had only 3% less demand for the year.
- Teen drama ranked higher in Germany than in any other market in this report as the 7th most in-demand subgenre in 2021.
- Germany was the only market in this report where action fantasy ranked among the ten most in-demand subgenres for the year.
Germany platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- In Germany, demand for Netflix originals accounted for 47.6% of demand for all digital originals in 2021. This is the platform’s second largest share in this report, but a decrease from where it was in Germany in 2020–52.9%.
- Apple TV+’s share of demand in the German market has visibly ballooned over the course of 2021, increasing almost each month of the year and ending in December at an 8.2% share of demand for original series.
- 2021 was also a huge year for Disney+, whose demand growth kicked off in October 2020 with season 2 of The Mandalorian and never slowed down. However, Disney+ was unable to overtake Amazon PrimeVideo’s share of demand for the year in Germany.
- The Mandalorian was the most in-demand original series in Germany this year, with 19.03 times the average series demand. Space themed series are popular in Germany. Star Wars: Visions and For All Mankind ranked higher in Germany than in any other market in this report.
- The fantasy genre also captures the attention of German audiences. The Witcher and Shadow and Bone ranked higher here (8th and 28th respectively) than in any other market in this report.
- Druck, the German adaptation of Skam franchise, performs consistently well in Germany where it had 7.77 times the average series demand for the year and ranked as the 25th most in-demand digital original.
Germany platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Netflix maintained a share of demand for original dramas in Germany (55.8%) above its share of global demand for dramas (51.3%). However, starting in June 2021 Netflix’s share of drama demand began to decline steeply and it finally fell below 50% in November 2021 when it hit 48.3%.
- Hulu’s demand share of original dramas hit a two year high in October 2021 when it reached a 10.7% share of demand in the genre, boosted by the strength of several new original dramas including Nine Perfect Strangers.
- HBO Max original dramas struggled to catch on in Germany this year. The platform’s 3.0% share of demand for original dramas was tied with the US as the lowest in this report.
- Netflix had one of the largest demand shares for original action/adventure content in Germany in this report. With a 28.8% share of demand in the action/adventure genre Netflix had a larger demand share only in the US.
- There is strong demand in Germany for Star Trek content from Paramount+. The platform’s action/adventure originals accounted for a 5.1% share of demand in the genre here.
- Netflix’s share of demand for action/adventure originals reached a high point this year in December when the platform’s originals accounted for 36.2% of demand for all original action/adventure series. It just barely overtook Disney (which had a 36.0% share) in December.
Top digital original series in Germany
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Germany television industry overview.