Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Austria in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Austria from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Austria Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preferences
- In Q1 2021, 48.8% of demand for digital originals in Austria was expressed for a drama series. This is on par with the global average share of demand for this genre, 49.0%.
- Outside of the US, Austrian audiences expressed the largest share of demand for digital original reality series of markets in this report.
- Animation is also a popular genre in Austria. Its 4.5% share of digital original demand here ranks behind only the United States and Chile in this report.
- Superhero series is the most popular digital original subgenre in Austria in Q1 2021.
- The difference between the first and second most in - demand subgenres is smallest in Austria or markets in this report. Demand for digital original Sci-Fi dramas was only 4% less than demand for superhero series in Q1 2021.
- The teen drama subgenre ranks higher in Austria than in any of the markets in this report. German teen drama Druck and Amazon Prime Video’s The Wilds have been in-demand here this quarter.
Austria Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Of all markets in this report, Austrian audiences expressed the lowest share of demand for digital original series from HBO Max. In Q1 2021, 1.9% of demand for digital original series was for an HBO Max original, less than half the global average HBO Max share (4.1%).
- Austrian audiences had the second highest share of demand for Paramount+ originals. The platform’s 5.2% share of demand in this market was helped by the popularity of the Star Trek franchise here.
- Apple TV+ saw growth in its demand share each month this quarter. From the 24 month chart you can see in March it achieved a 4.1% share of demand for digital originals, a higher share than at any point in the past year.
- In Q1 2021, the most in-demand digital original series in Austria is WandaVision, with 12.8 times the demand of the average show.
- Lying at the intersection of Austrian audiences love of Star Trek and the animation genre is Paramount+ animated original Star Trek: Lower Decks. This series had 1.3 times the demand of the average series.
- As an example of the popularity of reality series in Austria, Netflix’s bake-off competition Nailed It! ranked higher here than in any of the markets we looked at.
Austria Platform Demand Share for Drama and Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- In Austria, Paramount+ accounts for a larger share of demand for digital original dramas (5.3%) than any other market in this report.
- Netflix accounted for 64.5% of demand for drama originals in Austria, well above its global average share (53.4%).
- In the trend chart we can see how Paramount+ and Apple TV+ have swapped places this quarter. In January, Paramount+ accounted for 7.7% of demand for drama originals while Apple TV+ had a 3.3% share. In March, demand for Apple TV+ originals (6.3%) had surpassed Paramount+ (3.8%).
- Disney+ accounted for by far the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Austria in Q1 2021 – 59.0%.
- Disney+’s latest explosive growth in demand share began with the release of The Mandalorian Season 2. Its share of demand has more than doubled since then - up from 22.8% in Oct 2020.
- In Q1 2020, Paramount+ had the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in February (31.1%). While it’s 7.2% share in Q1 2021 is still larger than in most markets, it is a far cry from its dominant position here a year ago.
Top Digital Original Series in Austria
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Austria: