Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United States in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United States Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- The US is the market in this report with lowest share of demand action/adventure (11.7%) originals. The Q2 2021 demand share for this genre is down from 12.5% in Q1 2021.
- Of all the markets in this report, the demand share is highest in the USA for digital original series in four genres-children (9.3%), comedy (18.7%), documentary (10.5%), and reality (6.5%).
- The documentary genre (10.5%) continued to see strong growth. In 2020 this genre accounted for 9% of digital original demand, in Q1 2021 it had grown to 9.9%
- American audiences love comedy. Not only is the demand share for digital original comedies well above the global average (15.5%), the sitcom and comedy drama subgenres rank higher here than in any of the markets in this report. The animated comedy subgenre was also among the top 10 here.
- Reflecting the unique popularity of the documentary genre here, the US was the only market in this report where a documentary subgenre made it into the top 10. True crime was the tenth most in-demand subgenre for digital originals in Q2 2021.
United States Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Netflix titles accounted for 46.0% of demand for all digital original titles in the United States in Q2 2021. This is below the global share of demand for originals from the platform–48.3%
- Originals from Amazon Prime Video accounted for the smallest share of demand in the US out of markets in this report with a 9.3% share in Q2 2021.
- The share of demand for originals from Other platforms not broken out here amounted to 14.9% of demand in the US in Q2 2021. This is the largest share of demand for this category out of markets in this report and an increase from last quarter’s share. The US is a crowded market for streaming content and is only getting more competitive.
- The most in-demand digital original series in the US for Q2 2021 is Stranger Things. It had 42.2times the demand of the average title in the US. Cobra Kai also topped the ranking in Russia and Spain this quarter.
- The Shudder original, Creepshow, had 10.5 times the average series demand in the US this quarter.It also ranked higher in this market than any other market in this report as the 56th most in-demand digital original.
- Peacock’s Rutherford Falls performed well in the US. It was 8.3 times more in demand than the average series here.
United States Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- When considering only demand for drama originals, Netflix still accounts for a majority of demand in the US – 53.1%. This is slightly below the 53.9% global share of demand Netflix has in the drama genre.
- Drama series from Paramount+ made up 4.2% of demand for original dramas in the US in Q2 2021. This is the platform’s largest share of demand in the drama genre of markets in this report.
- The share of demand for Apple TV+ dramas was 7.2% in the US. This is above the platform’s 5.6% share of demand for dramas globally. Additionally, the platform has grown its share by nearly 1% over the quarter.
- In the US, the share of demand for action/adventure originals from Disney+ was 32.9%. This is the second smallest action/adventure demand share for the platform in this report and below its global share (34.2%).
- HBO Max had its largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in the US out of the markets we looked at. Its 17.5% share of demand in this genre here is well above its global share (11.5%).
- American audiences gave 10.5% of demand for digital original action/adventure series to anAmazon Prime Video original. This is below the platform’s global share in the genre (15.3%).
Top Digital Original Series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in the US:
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United States television industry overview.