Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Venezuela in Q1, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Venezuela from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Venezuela Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preferences
- Venezuela is the most action/adventure loving market in this report. The 29.9% of demand for action/adventure originals is more than twice the global share of demand for this genre, 14.0%.
- Drama originals accounted for the largest share of digital original demand in Venezuela in Q1 2021. The 49.2% of demand for a drama original in this market is on par with the global demand share for drama (49.0%).
- Of the markets in this report, Venezuela had the lowest share of demand for originals in the comedy (9.3%), documentary (1.1%), and reality (0.3%) genres.
- Superhero series is the most in-demand subgenre of Q1 2021 in Venezuela. It had more than twice the demand of the next most in-demand subgenre, crime drama.
- Superhero series have a dominant position in Venezuela similar to Chile. The next most in-demand digital original subgenre of Q1 2021, crime drama, has only 49% of the demand of superhero series.
- The life story subgenre ranks higher in Venezuela than other markets in this report. The Queen’s Gambit is the highest ranking life story here for Q1 2021.
Venezuela Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Demand for a Netflix original accounted for 55.6% of all digital original demand in Venezuela in Q1 2021. This is the third largest share of markets in this report, behind only Turkey and the Czech Republic.
- HBO Max and Disney+ each have a demand share in Venezuela (5.4% and 19.0% respectively) greater than their global demand share (4.1% and 6.0%).
- Netflix’s share of demand in Venezuela has been under serious pressure since August 2020 when it had a 74.9% share of demand for originals.
- WandaVision is the most in-demand digital original series in Venezuela for Q1 2021. It averaged 19.5 times the demand of the average show.
- Netflix’s reboot of the classic Lost in Space ranks higher in Venezuela than in any other market in this report. It was the 18th most in-demand digital original for the quarter with 2.1 times the demand of the average series.
- Venezuelans’ love of the crime drama subgenre make the Spanish language crime drama La Casa de Papel a natural success in this market. It was the 4th most in-demand digital original in Venezuela for the quarter with 7.4 times the average series demand.
Venezuela Platform Demand Share for Drama and Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Among drama originals in Venezuela, Netflix accounts for an overwhelmingly large share of audience attention. 77.9% of demand for drama originals in Q1 was for a Netflix series. This is the largest share for any market in this report.
- Unsurprisingly, given Netflix’s dominant position here, the demand shares for Amazon Prime Video (7.3%) and Apple TV+ (2.8%) dramas in Venezuela are lower than any other market in this report.
- In the 24 month trend chart we can see that Netflix’s demand share has remained nearly the same as in Q2 2019 when it accounted for 78.6% of demand for drama originals.
- With a 56.9% share of demand for action/adventure originals, Disney+’s share in Venezuela is the third largest in this report, behind only Chile and Austria.
- In the first two months following its launch, HBO Max had the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals. It was unseated by Netflix in July 2020 following the release of The Umbrella Academy season 2.
- Amazon claimed the largest share in October due to the popularity of The Boys . Since then, Disney+ has accounted for the largest share of action/adventure original demand due to the strength of its Star Wars and Marvel series.
Top Digital Original Series in Venezuela
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2021 across all platforms in Venezuela: