Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United States digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- American audiences had the largest share of demand for the reality genre (15.6%) across all markets in this report.
- With a 27.4% share of demand, the US was the market with the lowest interest in the drama genre in 2022. It was the only market with less than 30% demand share for this genre.
- The US had one of the highest shares of demand for documentary content (8.0%). This was well above the global share of demand for this genre (5.2%).
- The US was the only market in this report in which sitcom was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022.
- The US was the only market where the cartoon subgenre ranked in this report. The subgenre lies at the intersection of animation and children’s content, two popular genres in the US.
- As the tenth most in-demand subgenre of 2022 animated comedy only broke into the top ten most in-demand subgenres in the US, but not in any other market in this report.
United States platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Netflix originals accounted for 8.4% of demand for all series in the US, the largest share of demand for shows from any channel or platform in 2022.
- Content from NBC achieved its largest demand share in the US (5.8%) among all markets in this report, above the global share of demand for its content 4.0%.
- Shows from FOX accounted for a larger share of demand in the US (3.5%) than in any other market in this report.
- Stranger Things was the most in-demand show in the US in 2022 with 88.53 times the average series demand. The show was the most in-demand show globally also after returning for its long awaited fourthseason this year.
- The lasting demand for Seinfeld in the US is example of how popular classic sitcoms can be in the US. The show had 25.59 times the average series demand in 2022 and ranked as the 46th most in-demand show, a higher rank than in any other market in this report.
- The Showtime drama, Billions, achieved its highest rank in the US in this report where it ranked as the 20th most in-demand series of 2022 with 31.37 times the average series demand.
Top digital original series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 in the United States across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United States television industry overview.