Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Canada from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Canada digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Canada was the second most comedy-loving market in this report. Its 15.6% share of demand for the comedy genre was behind only the UK in 2022.
- Canada had the lowest share of demand for the variety genre in this report. Only 3.5% of demand across shows was for a variety series.
- A third of demand for shows in Canada in 2022 was for drama series. While this was the largest genre in the market in terms of its demand share, this was the second smallest demand share for drama across markets in this report, larger than only the US.
- Canada was one of five markets in this report where crime drama was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022. The others were Australia, the UK, Italy, and Spain.
- Canadians’ love of comedy is apparent when looking at the top subgenres for the year. Sitcom ranked as the second and comedy drama ranked as the sixth most in-demand subgenres. Animated sitcom was the tenth most in-demand subgenre for the year, its highest rank in this report.
- Canada was one of four markets where sci-fi drama reached its highest rank for the year as the fourth most in-demand subgenre.
Canada platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Although it had the largest share of originals demand in Canada, Netflix’s 7.0% share was smaller than any other market in this report.
- Original content from the Canadian public broadcaster, CBC, accounted for 2.7% of demand for all series in Canada in 2022, the same share of demand as The CW series in this market.
- In Canada, CBS and HBO were tied in 2022. Shows from each brand accounted for a 5.9% share of demand in this market.
- Saturday Night Live was the second most in-demand show in comedy-loving Canada for the year, with 27.75 times the demand of the average series. The sketch comedy show ranked higher in Canada than any other market in this report.
- PAW Patrol, was the most in-demand local production in Canada for the year. This kids show is not only popular in its home market, it has been hugely successful in countries around the world as well.
- The long running Murdoch Mysteries is a local drama from CBC. It had 10.95 times the average series demand in Canada in 2022.
Top digital original series in Canada
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 in Canada across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.